Thursday, August 8, 2013

Best First Job Never Wanted to Leave

I think I havent yet mentioned I joined Talisman Energy since April in fact I will never forget my first day of work because it was my birthday that day haha Anyway, it's an opportunity I never thought will come by at all in my life. I was attending SAP training for 3 months since Feb and during that time my other friends who were also attending the training with me have gotten call from Petronas to report duty. I was saddened by the fact that I did not get any placement in KL but I got call from Bintulu. After letting them know about my preference to be in KL, I actually just lose that placement. So I began to worried I cant get a job at that time because at the same time I wanted to quit the training so badly and I need to attached with a company to do so.

Out of all the worries, one day Talisman called me while I was watching tv at home. It just came at the right timing. Unprepared, the HR guy ask if he can do a brief phone interview with me; freaking the crap out of me. And the next thing I know I went for the face to face interview and I got the job as HR Admin.

Well, I am really not a fan of HR in fact I did told them HR is my enemy lol however, within one month my boss changed my jobscope to HR Mgmt System Analyst whereby I dealt hands on with system management; not development but more to like consulting and coordination task. I managed my own projects and given chance to make own decision here and there which was great.

Within 4 months before I left, I've managed to learn like a thousand whole lots of other things from them. It actually changed my whole perspective of what HR was like. It's not just about recruitment and paperwork. And I guess what is most valued in HR is relationship. Everyday I look forward and driven to go to work despite waking up early and going through hassle to drive all the way to Kelana Jaya and then take LRT all the way to Ampang Park.

The main point is that, now that I left Talisman for Petronas in Kerteh, when I look back, I realised how the people in Talisman is so much bonded and warm welcoming. Not that Petronas is the opposite, but there is this something that I feel is missing when I joined Petronas. I am not promoting Talisman but truly there is a big difference when working with expatriates. Since it is a Canadian company, work structure is much flexible and open for discussion as well as fun while working. Jokes and laughters in the office most of the time. Then I realised it was the culture at workplace that got me so motivated to work in the first place.

Indeed was my best first job I gotten. Am grateful for all the friendship gained and laughters as well as memories built within that short 4 months. Short yet many things happened!

Maybe now I'm having too much of a culture shock here in Kerteh. It's a big total change for me because I am used to working ang mo style in a big lively city. To be here in a super slow pace and almost empty city with longer hierarchy working place, hmmm really takes lots of effort to adjust.

Gambateh Mel!!


Still believes that my journey doesnt just end here and no goodbyes shed, just moving forward to the next oil and gas company :) 

Thank you so much Talisman!

No comments:

Post a Comment